Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Where, Oh Where Has My Resto Girl Gone?

In case I even have a readership anymore, Hello There. Since I got back to San Francisco from Austria/Germany/France, I haven't worked in a restaurant. Like, I'm actually DONE working in restaurants. Which was the ultimate goal, but now that I'm not a waitress any more, What the Heck am I supposed to write about? So, paralyzed, I didn't write anything for two months. Well, I actually wrote a LOT, but all paying work. Stuff like editing a website, freelancing for the warring alternative rags here in town, and trying to get my dam' name in more national magazines. All the while, drinking plenty of Jeffy B.´s homemade wine and going out to eat (I was even on Nightline a couple of weeks ago when dining at Incanto with Harry Denton).

So Restaurant Girl isn't gone, just morphed into one of those annoying chicks who's all, Um, Waiter? Let me be super high maintenence and tell you how to do your job because I used to wait tables. And because this town already has a proliferation of bloggers who eat out and write about it, I won't bore you with what might be my increasingly out-of-touch opinions about the San Francisco food scene. Nobody's more in the know about what's going down, what's hot, and what's not than waiters at the in-spots, so I'm not going to try to do that, either. Maybe I'll start cooking.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't recognize you (don't eat out in SF enough, I guess!) but I've been checking your blog periodically to see if you returned from Europe. Yes, there are tons of food blogs in the Bay Area, but really, that's never enough for me! Keep blogging, I enjoy your writing style.

Waitress4Life said...

Yay!!
Another waitress moves on! It's like a small victory for us all when someone finds a "real" job.

I've had quite a few real jobs, but the hours, the cash, and the lifestyle of the restaurant biz always bring me back.

You are a talented writer. Your style is very gripping, and I am really enjoying the peek into your journeys. Please keep sharing.
--Beth

Proto said...

Loved your column on waiterrant.net
Have fun cooking...

melissa said...

love your blog. i don't recongnize you, but hope you keep writing!

Virginia said...

Really enjoyed reading your blog... appreciate the waitress perspective and the worldwide travels and photos.

I have a monthly food newsletter here in SF myself: www.theperfectspotsf.com (it grew out of not only my personal passion but out of constant requests from people to refer them to places over the years). I also do freelance food writing for a couple websites.

There is a wide sea of info out there but I appreciate finding fun, informative, unpretentious sites.

Thanks!
Virginia
www.theperfectspotsf.com

Anonymous said...

Great work.